Wagner Restoration Logo

What Are the Dangers of Lead Paint and Why Does it Need to Be Removed?

Regardless of whether you own residential or commercial property, you depend on it to keep you safe. Therefore, it can be very frustrating if you wind up with a property that does not have the right safety metrics in place. Unfortunately, there are many people who come to realize that they have lead paint in their home or business.

Even though new buildings are not built using lead paint, there are a lot of old buildings that still have lead paint in them. It can be incredibly hazardous to your health, so you have to get rid of it as quickly as possible. What do you need to know?

Learn more below, and count on the team from Wagner Restoration to help you!

What Age Homes Have Lead Paint in Them?

Even though brand new homes do not have lead paint in them, it is entirely possible for an older building to have lead paint. This was a very common material used for painting buildings up until the mid-1960s. There were also a few situations where lead paint was used for buildings up until the 1980s. Therefore, if you have an older building, you need to make sure you know if the building has lead paint in it.

Even though it can be difficult to tell if the paint in your building is lead, there are a few common signs. For example, if you take a look at the paint, and you see a pattern that resembles reptilian scales, it could be a sign of the paint being lead. As lead paint begins to dry and crack, it will produce a very specific pattern. Ultimately, the best way to figure out if the paint used is lead is to reach out to a professional who can help you.

Why Is Lead Paint Bad?

There are a lot of reasons why you should avoid using lead paint in your home, but the biggest reason is that it can lead to a wide variety of health complications. Lead paint is dangerous to just about everyone, but it is particularly problematic for children and pregnant women. When children are still developing, exposure to lead can be incredibly toxic. It can lead to lifelong disabilities that can impact them forever. Furthermore, pregnant women also should not be exposed to lead paint because they could also develop lead poisoning. As a result, their unborn child could develop disabilities for a as well.

These are the two biggest reasons why lead paint was banned, and because there are better options available, it only makes sense to go with a different choice.

What Are the Symptoms of Lead Paint Poisoning?

If you believe you have lead paint in your home, it is important to be aware of the symptoms of lead poisoning. This is a serious syndrome that takes place when lead builds up in the body. Typically, it fills up slowly, often taking months or years to accumulate. Unfortunately, it could take months or years for someone to show any symptoms, and by that point, the individual may have already developed severe complications.

Initially, lead poisoning can be very hard to detect. Children are much smaller than adults, so they are particularly susceptible to this issue. A lot of children who are exposed to lead poisoning can develop severe intellectual disabilities. They may have a hard time keeping up with their classmates, and they may look a bit sluggish and tired. Children who develop lead poisoning will also experience a significant loss of appetite. As lead poisoning gets worse, children can also develop nausea, vomiting, and constipation. Children may also develop hearing loss and seizures if lead poisoning is not reversed quickly. That is why it is important for children to go to the pediatrician regularly.

It is also possible for newborn babies to develop lead poisoning as well. If babies are exposed to lead poisoning even when they are still in the uterus, they could be born prematurely. As a result, they may be severely underweight, which can make it difficult for them to regulate their body temperature. It is also very common for newborn babies who are exposed to lead poisoning to experience significantly slowed weight gain. This can make it very difficult for newborn babies to meet their developmental milestones.

The symptoms of lead poisoning in adults are not nearly as severe as they are in children, but adults can experience a wide range of issues as well. For example, adults can develop joint pain, muscle pain, headaches, and high blood pressure if they develop lead poisoning. Adults can also develop severe abdominal pain, which could lead to constipation, nausea, and vomiting. Adults can also experience fertility issues if they develop lead poisoning, which is why it is important to stay away from lead paint.

How Do You Get Lead Paint Removed?

If you are interested in getting lead paint removed, it is important for you to make sure that you stay safe during the process. You do not want to be exposed to lead either, which is why it is always better to reach out to a professional who can help you.

If you decide to work with us, we will come to your home or office to take a look at the paint on the walls. We will do a detailed investigation to make sure we understand exactly what we are working with. We will let you know if you have lead paint in your home, and we will show you all of the locations where we have discovered it. That way, you know exactly what to expect. We will also give you a free estimate before we get started.

Finally, once we remove lead paint from your home, we will also replace it with high-quality, safe paint. You will find that our paint will last significantly longer, we can customize it to match your personal style, and we will ensure that you do not see any unusual marks or blemishes on your walls when we are done. We have a wide variety of paint colors from which to choose, and we will work with you personally to make sure you like your selection. For all of these reasons, count on us to help you remove lead paint from your building.

Trust Wagner Restoration To Help You Get Rid of Lead Paint

We are Wagner Restoration, and we would be happy to help you. Contact us today!

Restoration Services